's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

so, does 'rouleur' mean 'TT specalist'?(8 posts)

so, does 'rouleur' mean 'TT specalist'?CaptCaliber
Feb 9, 2002 9:41 AM
re: so, does 'rouleur' mean 'TT specalist'?sweeerwsfdfdfd
Feb 9, 2002 10:33 AM
no, tt specialist means tt specialist. the phrase you are reffereing to means that you turn a large gear.
there are some cyclist that are more comfortable turning a bigger gear at lower revs.. .than a smaller gear at higher.. they say that spinners produce a higher wattage output more effeciently.. and that this technique stresses their lungs/ cardiovascular system (i am over simplifying).. and that this system recovers faster than a rouler who tends to stress his muscular system (gross oversimplificaton #2).. which does doe not recover as well because of our friend lactic acid..
there is plenty of info out theer on this. (i am more of a rouler and i envy spinners.. trying to relearn a decade of bad habits)...

its like this...Lance is a spinner.. LeMond was a rouler...
re: rouleur.guido
Feb 9, 2002 3:33 PM
Turning a high gear requires a circular pedal stroke, to even-out the build up of lactic acid in the pushing and lifting muscles in the legs. A successful rouleur doesn't just mash down on the crank for all he's worth, but tries to put continuous pressure on the pedals all the way around. I think spinning moderate gears is a good way to learn how to do this, especially climbing, where you can really feel where the dead spots are in the pedal stroke. A good spinner will translate into a good rouleur. In both, the legs use all the muscles, not only the quads, the pushing muscles. The difference is that rouleurs concentrate on their leg muscles, while spinners concentrate on their cardivascular system, heart and lungs. Good riders can do both.
about the sameFrenchy
Feb 9, 2002 12:23 PM
TT specialist is about the same as rouleur because it mean flat road specialist.
about the samenope...
Feb 9, 2002 3:00 PM
no.. i in fact was a time trial specialist and my downfall was my tendency to be a rouluer....

tt specialist are peolpe that understand how to ride at maxiumum effort just under threshold for a given duration and over a variety of types of terrain.. some spinners a great tt guys and some roulers are great climbers....
the tt guys that i have seen that really know what they are doing tend to be really effecient cyclist and they have an ability to tolerate pain...

the new trend towards power output computers are showing that spinners are better.. they create a higher output (wattage).. and don't drown in lactid acid...

the trick i suppose is being able to be strong enough to spin a big gear... good cycling really is all about pedal cadence...
remember the old saying.. it takes fiver years to become a cyclist.. it sounds to me that rather than debating this you should get out and ride (make yourself spin.. see how it hurts your lungs).... make your self pusha big gear.. see the lactic acid..
just ride..
ride with really good cyclist and watch how they spin those gears...
no, a roleur is an all-rounderlonefrontranger
Feb 10, 2002 9:22 PM
Yes, in some circumstances it denotes someone who can turn a large gear, but in essence it is the French idiom that denotes a "global" cyclist (not Mondial, mind you).

Jalabert and Tafi are two great roleurs I can think of, Jaja being the most perfect example.
c'est éxactephilippec
Feb 11, 2002 1:48 AM
In french un rouleur is, like lfr says above, a good all-around rider that can really punch out a flat to rolling hill course. They tend to get dropped in the mountains and cannot sustain the effort for long tt's. They excel at transition stages in stage races between the flats and the mountains. Other good examples of rouleurs are Eric Decker and Jens Voight.


Decker la locomotive- Tchmil the diesel (nm) !!tempeteKerouak
Feb 11, 2002 8:46 AM