's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Do they make something like this?(4 posts)

Do they make something like this?Jack Daniels
Jan 27, 2002 11:04 AM
Well I decided I need to get my road bike up and running again. It was designed for 27 inch wheels (its kinda old) but I was given a set of 700cc wheels for free. The front is not a problem because I had put on a fork made for 700cc and so the brakes line up fine. The problem is the rear wheel. The brakes are too far up to touch the rim. How can I fix this? Someone told me that they made a conversion part and it will make it work. Where can I find this? Let me know if you can help
Shimano long reach brakes rx100 or r600 will work.Barnyard
Jan 27, 2002 12:25 PM
Long reach brakes or drop bolt (if they still make 'em)cory
Jan 27, 2002 1:04 PM
If you can find long reach brakes (Rivendell may have 'em,, that would be the most elegant solution. Shimano was talking about making some a year or so ago; don't know if they did.
There used to be a part called a "drop bolt" made just for that--it bolted on where the brakes go and had an extension that held the brakes down where the new wheel was. Haven't seen one in years, but your bike shop or Loose Screws in Oregon may be able to get one.
re: Do they make something like this?walter
Jan 27, 2002 3:17 PM
Harris Cyclery ( can sell you either the Shimano RX100 long reach brakes or the drop bolt, their web site lists both. Drop bolts are surprisingly expensive so the brakes may be a better choice since they're an upgrade in performance as well. OTOH you've already got 1 brake set up and I'm pretty sure you'll have to buy a pair...
Your call.