's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Frame saver(3 posts)

Frame saverBarnyard
Jan 14, 2002 8:42 AM
I was in Boston a week ago at Independent Fabrications getting sized up for my new Club Racer. They told me that all I needed to do with the frame was put some frame saver in the Seat post tube. What exactly is frame saver, where do I get it, and what do I need to know about applying it?
re: Frame saverfuzzybunnies
Jan 14, 2002 8:52 AM
they're refering to JP weigel's framesaver which any local lbs should be able to get for you. It's a really nasty smelling substance that comes in a spray can. Basically you'll plug the bb holes sray a bunch of it down the seat tube and move the frame around till the bb area and the inside of the seat tube are coated. Let the stuff set for a couple hours. Make sure you clean the bb threads of the syuff before installing with grease. I didn't the first time I used the stuff and it's been the only time I heard a bb squek in a steel frame. On an indy the rest of the tubes are sealed up hence the reason you only have to do the seat post. I would also recommend the headtube if you're using a cheaper headset, my old cane creak let a lot of water in the headtube. Russ
boeshield works pretty good too!naff geezer
Jan 14, 2002 10:47 AM

and it ha a few more uses as well. even though it was developed for boeing's it can only be shipped ground. ;-)