's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Dent in specialized M4 road(7 posts)

Dent in specialized M4 roadC-mond
Nov 8, 2001 3:57 PM
Got hit by car and it left a small dent in my specialized M4 1999 yellow frame. It is in the top tube, drivetrain side, 4 inches away from my seat tube. It is 2cm in length and does not go in much but I can see it from 11ft. away.

The bike is in correct alignment.

What do you guys think about how much this frame has been fatigued. I know it would be better if you could see and feel it...... Should I even risk it. Or can I still ride this bike into the ground with no concern for my safety due to the failure of this frame.
I would ride itvanzutas
Nov 8, 2001 4:05 PM
My mountainbike has dents on the top tube from where the handlebars hit it a million times. I still ride it hard, and it is fine. it is steel though and steel is mor resiliant. Fatigue is not the correct word for what you had happen. but it is a spot where a fatigue crack might get a good start. The top tub in the middle is not the most criticle part of the frame. My friend had a crack half way through his top tube on his mountain bike and road it once or twice with the crack. he is still alive.

now that I think of it another friend has a huge dent on the downtube of his bike and there is no problem with it. just ride it and keep your eye on it.

Me, too, but I'd watch itcory
Nov 8, 2001 4:11 PM
I'd feel more confident if it were steel, but I don't think it's going to cause you any problems. Just keep an eye on it for the beginning of a crack...
Have your LBS check it out.Mel Erickson
Nov 8, 2001 4:30 PM
They're in a better position to give you advice since they can see, feel and touch. Maybe the Specialized rep if he's available and is knowledgeable.
I didC-mond
Nov 8, 2001 4:36 PM
One said it was fine, One said they would consider it trashed. So I just do know what to think. I will get the 3rd option monday.

although asking for the specialized rep is a good idea. I will check it out. I would probably not second guess his option.
get a new bike!merckx56
Nov 9, 2001 8:43 AM
if you got dinged by a car, sue the a'hole who hit you and get his insurance company to buy you a new rig!
on a secondary note, do not ride that frame! that tubing is super thin. it's so thin that the welds bleed thru the tubing! call the dude and his insurance company and demand a new bike. get two estimates on retail(!) replacement cost and bug the crap out of them until you get a check!
yeah get a new bike and keep the old one.vanzutas
Nov 9, 2001 10:02 AM
When I got hit a while ago it toasted the wheels so the bike looked like a lost cause to the insurance people. they gave me the replacement value of the whole bike. so I bought a cheap set of wheels for that bike and bought a mountain bike with the rest.