's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

hit by car - what to do?(16 posts)

hit by car - what to do?specialized_allez
Sep 27, 2001 8:36 AM
was riding to work today and was hit at a light. of course i had to be riding my new specialized allez elite instead of my usual commuter! anyway the driver was very apologetic and gave me his name and number ( i was memorizing his license plate as he was doing this). since this is my first bike vs. car accident, what are you supposed to do in a situation like this? i have his info but what if he decides he doesn't want to pay for anything? how much should it cost for a new ultegra rear derailleur and truing of a wheel? thanks.
re: hit by car - what to do?raboboy
Sep 27, 2001 8:40 AM
If he gave you his info, then that is an admission of guilt and realizes that he has to pay. Get your bike fixed & send him a bill. If he doesn't pay, call the police & a lawyer. It probably would have been a good idea to call the police immediately, but it's too late for that.
it's still not too late to call policeRed Barn
Sep 28, 2001 8:41 AM
do it right away and make a report
May be admitting guilt but not by giving infoChris Zeller
Sep 28, 2001 8:59 AM
All drivers are REQUIRED to give you their info in an accident wether they are admitting guilt or not. This should not be construed as an admission of guilt, just the minimum required legal conduct. If they don't stop and give you info they could be charged with hit and run.

Now, he might be admitting it anyway. It sounded like he was appologetic, which may be an admission. After calling the police, I'd call a bikeshop and get a written apprasial of the damages. Then call him. I think we are talking about something on the order of $100-200 depending on damage to your rim. He would probably be more than happy to pay it to be over the whole mess without insurance trouble. Don't immediately assume that he is unreasonable. With the events of the last week we should all try to be more understanding to each other.

Be thankful you weren't hurt. Sounds like you got off easy.
Get the alignment of the frame checked...Cima Coppi
Sep 27, 2001 8:51 AM
Take the bike to a shop that has a frame table and get the alignment checked. Its better to do this now, than have it become evident on a serious ride. He may need to pay you for a new frame!!

Good luck, and keep us updated.

re: hit by car - what to do?DAC
Sep 27, 2001 9:04 AM
Unless you are injured, if the driver was drunk, or if he has knocked a power line down in the road, the police won't get involved. If you wish to press criminal charges, then they will get involved. If there is no claim of criminality, then it is a civil matter, and not for the police.
Did you get his INSURANCE info? Did he HAVE insurance (and, if not, was he supposed to)? You next recourse (if he doesn't pay) will be through his insurance company, THEN the courts, if the insurance company refuses. Of course, if he is uninsured and has nothing, then you are probably shit outta luck.
re: hit by car - what to do?specialized_allez
Sep 27, 2001 9:14 AM
thanks for replies. i was still dazed and i wasn't thinking much of anything. so car insurance covers these types of things? i didn't know that but hopefully it won't go that far. is it too late or can i just ask him for it when i call with the bill?
doesn't mattermr_spin
Sep 27, 2001 9:50 AM
Let him figure out how to pay for it. It may be his homeowner's policy, not his auto policy. But that's no concern of you. As long as the money is legal tender, don't worry about where it comes from!

Also, in California, you are required to report accidents resulting in over $500 damage to the DMV. This probably applies, since bikes are subject to the vehicle code just like cars. I believe an Allez is worth more than that. Something to consider, since two important rules in life are: you don't f--- with the IRS, and you don't f--- with the DMV!
Sure, his insurance will cover just like a pedestrian (nm)Chris Zeller
Sep 28, 2001 9:01 AM
re: hit by car - what to do?morey
Oct 5, 2001 9:36 AM
I was in a hit and run, ruined my Ciocc, but the damage done to me was worst. Be glad you were not injured. Insurance should cover this, however the driver of the car should be happy to pay. I called the Police, actually someone called the Police. They found the guy the next day!
He felt bike's did not belong on the road, even bike lanes!
re: hit by car - what to do?MCCL
Sep 27, 2001 9:05 AM
First to protect yourself is to fill out a police report.You have a certain amount of hours to do this in. Keep it legal and do it. Do it in the city where your confrontation happened. I just recently had this occur for the second time. He giving you his phone # is no admission of guilt but just a standard of exchanging information at the sight of an accident. Unless he admitted then and there and you have witnesses. Then you would be good to go. If you have HOME OWNERS INSURANCE, call your agent and report it to them. They should then have an adjuster call you. And your file will now start. Your home owners insurance most likely will cover untill they go and recover from the guilty party. Good Luck MCCL
re: hit by car - what to do?joy
Sep 27, 2001 9:11 AM
was it accurate info he gave you and not BS? sue his arse off... get a new bike. if no obvious damage sue for pain and suffering and emotional distress- your neck hurts, right? it's the American way
Oh man...fishwheel
Sep 27, 2001 9:32 AM
I hope your being facetious.
What to do . . .LAIrish
Sep 27, 2001 10:02 AM
Write down that license plate # while you remember it, just in case he gave you bogus info. (Did you see his driver's license or did he just tell you name, etc.?)

Call the cops and see if you can file a report. (In California the police don't take reports of accidents unless there is physcial injury or criminal activity.) If you can, do. It helps to have a record.

Were there any witnesses? Did you get their names, numbers?

Have your LBS check your bike and give you an estimate of what it will cost to repair the damage. Call up the driver, tell him the amount, and ask whether he wants to handle it through his auto insurance.

If he wants his insurance to cover it, get the name of the company and his policy #. Call the insurance co., tell them you're making a claim, and they will put you in touch with an "adjuster" who will try to keep you from collecting. (Well, I hope not, but that's what a lot of them do.) Explain the situation to the adjuster, tell him the estimate from the LBS, and negotiate from there.

If the amount is below the driver's deductible, or even slightly above, he may want to just pay out of pocket, to avoid a claim against the policy (which will lead to increased rates). If so, make arrangements with him. (I suggest you meet him at the shop when you take the bike in so he can pay the shop for the repairs and be done it.)

Your homeowner's policy probably covers you, but making a claim against it may increase your rates. So have him or his insurance cover it if at all possible.

You don't mention any physical injury, so I assume there was none. But, if there is a chance of later complications, check with your doctor now. Once you sign a release from the insurance co, it will be hard to collect anything more.

Does that cover it?
re: hit by car - what to do?Trux
Sep 27, 2001 10:05 AM
I was hit by a car on my bike in July. After photographing the damage,I took the bike to a good bike shop and asked for a repair estimate which I sent to the driver's insurance company. Several weeks later I received a check for the total repair cost.
re: hit by car - what to do? -Fall Down!Crankist
Sep 27, 2001 6:17 PM