's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Yet another newbie question(8 posts)

Yet another newbie questionTylerman
Sep 17, 2001 2:57 AM
For all the years I have been riding bikes, I never bothered to wonder what that little plastic disc is inside my spokes at the cassette. Does anyone know what it's called and what is it for? Is it intended to keep the freewheel clean or something?
re: Yet another newbie questionLen J
Sep 17, 2001 3:08 AM
I'm not sure what it is clled but its purpose is to keep the chain, should it come off on the inside of the casette, out of the spokes. If your Rear Der. is adjusted properly, it is not necessary.

re: and ironically, it's called...Akirasho
Sep 17, 2001 5:01 AM
a spoke protector.

Agreed, it's a throwback to times when many derailleur equipped bikes recieved virtually no preventative maintenance (as many inexpensive ones still do).

True, with a properly adjusted derailleur (limit screws) and cable... it's unnecessary.

We abide.

Remain In Light.
It is called a spoke protector.MB1
Sep 17, 2001 5:04 AM
Another safety device for the casual rider.

If you drop your bike on the right side and the rear derailleur gets bent inward it could be shifted into the spokes causing a fairly nasty accident. The spoke protector may provide some protection from this.

Generally speaking an experienced rider does not need this.
you mean the "dork ring"?alex the engineer
Sep 17, 2001 5:04 AM
It's there for several reasons. Firstly, it's there to prevent a chain from getting caught between the spokes and the cogs, for people who don't bother adjusting their derailleurs. It's also there to add weight, collect dust, and prevent adequate cleaning of the cogs. On many bikes, it's also there to denote the humble origin of a department store bike, especially if it appears in cojunction with rubber bar grips and chicken levers.
you mean the "dork ring"?Lone Gunman
Sep 17, 2001 6:53 AM
Gee, I wish the dork ring would still have been on my Rolf's after the LBS failed to put a spacer after the ring was removed. The cassette was loose on the mount, chain shifted over the top into the spokes and did a little chain saw action on 5 spokes.
Actually...nee Spoke Wrench
Sep 17, 2001 5:34 AM
It's proper name is "Spoke Protector." If you have ever shifted your chain into the spokes without one, even for only a second or two, you have buggered up the 8 right side, outside spokes. Once the spokes are deformed, they have a tendency to break one-at-a-time until all eight are replaced.

As some other posters have indicated, if you always keep your rear derailleur properly adjusted, you don't really need one.
Actually...Roy Zipris
Sep 17, 2001 4:48 PM
Conversely, if you don't keep your RD properly adjusted (or if you are mechanically inept, like I am), you may one day appreciate having kept that little item on.