's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Okay, guys. What should I do?(12 posts)

Okay, guys. What should I do?Jim Burton
Jul 21, 2001 7:17 PM
I rode some trails today on my steel mountain bike and managed to loose both water bottle boss screws. I didn't find this out until my ride was over. Well, both the bike and I got pretty wet on this ride. What should I do about the water that I am sure got into the inside of the steel frame? I have already taken out the seat post and turned the bike upside down. Some water did come out and I plan to leave it this way all night. Is there anything else I could or should do? Are steel frames generally treated on the inside as well? Will this cause much rust on the inside? HELP! I've never had this kind of thing happen before and I am at a loss.
Don't panic ...Humma Hah
Jul 21, 2001 7:26 PM
Bikes get water in their frames quite regularly. It rarely is serious unless left a LOOONG time.

I'd pop the seatpost out and let it dry overnight in a warm, dry environment.

If you're concerned, after it is dry, you can spray some Boeshield down in the tubes. This stuff (now found at some cycling stores), or several competing brands you can find at the airport, was originally developed to spray into steel aircraft frames to prevent rusting.

'Bout time the aircraft industry paid cycling back for creating it!
fill it with WD40WadeOmatic
Jul 21, 2001 8:01 PM
if you want to use the cheap stuff. WD40 is made for Water Displacement, not lubrication. It'll get between the water and steel, and eventually the water will evaporate. There's also a product called "Frame Saver" which probably lasts much longer than WD.

Prevention. If you're not going to use the water bottle mount, then fill the holes with some RTV--Permatex silicone stuff. You might get lucky and find a color to match your frame. That's what I do with unused holes (water bottle mounts, disc brake, etc. You can always pick it out later if you need to. It's also good to keep lightly torqued screws from backning out and rattle taming. Just keep it out of the carpet.
can anyone say hair drier?..(the art of evaporation) nmdoc (tro)
Jul 21, 2001 8:58 PM
can anyone say hair drier?..(the art of evaporation) nmVictorChan
Jul 22, 2001 1:05 PM
That was what I thought. :-)
Evaporation goes up...mk_42
Jul 22, 2001 12:25 AM
Leave your bike right side up after draining it. Evaporation will push the water vapor up. Unless you live somewhere really humid it should evaporate overnight...just make sure you leave the vapor somewhere to go (i.e. the seatpost) at the upper end.

Well, I live in South that humid enough??!(nm)Jim Burton
Jul 22, 2001 6:02 AM
re: Okay, guys. What should I do?Car Magnet
Jul 22, 2001 3:20 AM
Most steel frames are untreated on the inside. Use the WD-40 or the Boeshield and then try to drain the excess. WD-40 will dissolve certain types of grease/lubricants so you may not want to leave it pooled up. Don't use JP Weigles Frame Saver unless the bike is stripped down to the frame (I do believe it recommends this on the can). Try using TFE tape (teflon tape which can be found in the plumbing section of any hardware store) to secure your bolts so they don't back out. It beats the hell out of using Loctite, especially when removing a part.
re: Okay, guys. What should I do?Lone Gunman
Jul 22, 2001 4:49 AM
Ditto other posts. Might find the screws at Big box Hardware store if not at LBS.
re: Something I noticed.......Rusty Coggs
Jul 22, 2001 5:07 AM
.....all my steel road frames have a drain hole in the BB shell. None of my steel MTN frames did.Seems almost backward.Maybe there was a reason back in the cup and cone BB days? They all do now. Consider potential warranty issues Before playing 'Tool Time'.
re: Okay, guys. What should I do?jrm
Jul 22, 2001 8:21 AM
You could drill a drain hole in the lowest point of the BB shell.
WD-40 and JP Weigle's frame treatmentpeloton
Jul 22, 2001 1:13 PM
Spray WD-40 into the frame to displace any water that may be left in and leave the frame upside down to allow to dry. Go to the shop and get a can of JP Weigle's frame treatment spray. It coats the inside of the steel tubes and protects them from rusting in the future. It is the best defence you can get against rust on the inside of a steel frame. Your shop should know about it, and if not I have seen it mail order too. Then you don't have to worry so much in the future.