's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

triple bypass riders?(12 posts)

triple bypass riders?ColnagoFE
Jul 16, 2001 7:39 AM
How was your ride this weekend? A little wet and a lot harder than I thought it would be, but I made it. Definately no speed record here...took me about 8 hours to finish (~15MPH average due to all the climbing). Saw a brochure at the finish for the Denver top Aspen ride coming up that would be epic. 200 miles w/ 30,000+ vertical of climbing!
Jul 16, 2001 8:14 AM
123 miles of up and down. 10,000 feet up, 10,000 feet down. Three peaks - Squaw Pass, 11,140 feet; Loveland pass, 11,990 feet; and Vail Pass, 10,560 feet. Any one of the three would be a challenge, but all three in one day created a truly epic ride. Loveland Pass was the hardest. I reached the aid station at Loveland Basin ski area and thought that I was near the top. No way - Hwy 6 goes up, and up, and up, and up. Had to pull over for a minute about halfway up as I was seeing stars. When they built the road, they forgot to include air.

The downhills were FAST. Ever go straight down for 15 miles? Holding back out of pure fear, it was a 45+ mph screamer. It was so cold my teeth were chattering.

The rain started (for me)at the bottom of Vail Pass. I got soaked and cold. My feet got numb, but I pressed on. At the top, I knew I was home free, as the road to the end in Avon was all downhill again. Got to Vail thinking I was near the end, and it just went on and on and on. Finally crossed the finish line to the cheers of my friends (who had finished much earlier) and a feeling of exhaustion.

I have never been in a ride or race before where I thought it was TOO hard. This one felt like that about halfway through. Yesterday I felt like my batteries were blown. It was all I could do to lie down.

There is no way to relay just how much this hurt without actually having done it. That being said, I did it. I can now wear my Triple By Pass jersey with pride.

$$ (still tired)
hardest part for meColnagoFE
Jul 16, 2001 9:32 AM
personally the hardest part for me was that trudge up from idaho spgs to loveland pass. it was grey, i was hurting, and you had to worry about 18 wheelers zipping by you at high speed on I-70. The rain started for me at the base of vail pass in copper, but i still think it was easier than that segment.
Cold and wetBipedZed
Jul 16, 2001 8:44 AM
The ride itself wasn't bad, but I got caught in the rain from the top of Vail Pass at over 10,000ft all the way to Avon. All I had were arm warmers and rode the last 30 mile descent bordering on hypothermia. Ended up taking just under 7 hours and a 17.3 mph avg. 10 minutes after arriving in Avon the rain ended and the sun came out.

Good job. The rain made it much harder this year. Now that you've finished it once, next year will be much easier mentally.

Another tip - carbon rims with stock pads don't brake very well in the rain.
Carbon rims with stock pads...MrCelloBoy
Jul 16, 2001 9:05 AM
don't brake, period, when it's NOT raining. We had a guy doing the
Terrible Two with this combo have to lay his bike down during the first big-steep descent (Trinity Rd.) He had pretty bad road rash down one side. The brake pads either burned right off or glazed over completely within the first two hairpins and became entirely useless!

So much for High Tech. Also proves the adage; Don't try out your new S--- on a big hilly "race".
I thought you said...lonefrontranger
Jul 16, 2001 11:26 AM
you weren't a climber! :) How've you been since Weld? (besides the TBP, that is) I discovered I finished that race with about 15 psi in my back tire, BTW. That was the last hurrah for the old sled, the Colnago is all built and waiting for its maiden voyage tonight.

My mechanic did the TBP as well. I thought about you guys while I was doing a Waterton Canyon - Colorado Divide Trail MTB ride. 26 miles total - uphill pure grunt for 13 miles, then turn around and freeride home (mostly). Sweet rolling singletrack interspersed with GNARLY steep rock slides, motocross trail, and totally butt-and-lung busting climbs. Fortunately we didn't get rained on. So it wasn't 117 miles of pure torture like you guys did, but it equated to five hours in the saddle on the MTB - this little non-climber slept hard Saturday night too.
Peaked for the wrong eventBipedZed
Jul 16, 2001 12:38 PM
All season long my intention was to peak for the Estes Stage Race, but then I fractured my scapula at Meridian at the end of May and then was sick with a cold for the last 2 weeks of June, including Andy Finch and the Estes Stage race. My results reflected my lack of racing. Beginning in July I've been feeling great and climbing well...just in time for an organized ride. At least I did well at Weld and hopefully I can carry this fitness to the Evans HC in two weeks. I still don't think I'm a climber compared to the really skinny guys, but with good race fitness, the Triple Bypass was actually fairly easy.

Starting in August I'm going to do much more MTB riding and will probably do the King of the Rockies race at Winterpark the weekend before my wedding. Get back from the honeymoon and it's time for 'cross!
It wasn't that bad.Pack Meat
Jul 16, 2001 11:22 AM
It was actually pretty easy until it started raining, for me, at Copper Mtn. Climbing in the rain wasn't bad but when I went over the top I was soaked and could not stop shaking. It hurt to move my hands and arms. I tried keeping the brakes on while I was descending so I could pedal and try to stay warm but that didn't work. I've never been so cold, ever. The sun came out when I got to Vail, it took about 20 minutes for my teeth to stop chattering. When I warmed up I felt great, it was weird, I felt fresh. I was actually doing stop ahead sign sprints. I was flying all night, even went to the LODO music fest and was drunk after one beer, cheap date. I was pretty sore on the bike on Sunday.

The hardest part was the slog up 70 for sure. I thought Loveland was going to be harder than it was. The descent was awesome, so fast and twisty. The descent down Squaw was cool to but there were to many people to let it all hang out.

I'll check that off my list of things to do.

It wasn't that bad.Birddog
Jul 16, 2001 9:14 PM
I'm from Oklahoma and I didn't think it was that bad either. There were six in our group and three made it all the way. 1 withdrew before the start, 1 pulled out 1 mile up from Loveland Ski area, and 1 quit in Frisco because he was cold and wet. I was way too long in the saddle, but that was do in large part to riding slow to be with friends. I finished with about 8 and1/2 hours saddle time, and almost 12 hours overall. Waiting for my compatriots at each rest stop was pretty time consuming, and another hour or so in Frisco waiting for the rain to die down didn't help either. I was really disappointed in the food at the finish. I could understand that they were out of beer. I could handle that they ran out of chicken, but how can you have plenty of patties and buns, but no pickles and onions? I guess that is the price you pay when you roll in late.
They ran out of food?ColnagoFE
Jul 17, 2001 9:27 AM
I ate tons! They basically let you fill your plate as full as you wanted. This was about 4:30 mind you. You must have been really late. What time did you get in? Looked like they had TONS of food when I left. And plenty of beer too.
They ran out of food?Birddog
Jul 17, 2001 1:29 PM
They ran out of a lot of food. I got there about 7pm. My mistake was in taking a shower and changing clothes first. I probably shouldn't have waited for the rain to subside in Frisco either.
When I went through the food line ( a poorly designed line with many bottlenecks I might add) I heard grumblings about there being no beer. No sweat, I could handle it. Then when I got to the salad there was a big holdup because they were scrounging up more greens. I could handle that too, I went ahead and scraped the bottom of the bowl anyway. There was also a major jam over at the baked potato stop because they were temporarily out there. That was solved however, when they brought out some more spuds that weren't quite done. As I went through the burger line, I knew we were in trouble when I noticed that the buns were ice cold and hard to seperate without some damage. As I was preparing my bun in my own special way, the guy in front got the last slice of pickle. There were no onions, or tomatoes, just some lettuce, mayo and mustard. There were plenty of those tasty "garden Burgers" for the sprout eaters, and they seemed to have enough real beef patties and cheese. There was also plenty of cookies. When I asked about the availability of onions and pickles, I was told I was too late, they were gone. It seemed odd to me that they had enough patties and buns, but couldn't figure quantities for the condiments. I was told the chicken had disappeared much earlier, and as you stated, they said people had mtn.s of food on their plate. She could and should have skipped that statement, it only made me more angry. What really sucked, was that we bought tickets at $12 apiece for some guests and they didn't mention that they were down to a limited menu. I really felt sorry for the people coming in after me,(there were quite a few too).Next time I'll know.
Sorry ManPack Meat
Jul 17, 2001 1:46 PM
I got in around 4 and totally chowed. I did have a mountain of food but I ate it all much to my own surprise. I think part of the problem was that they weren't letting people come back for seconds so everybody was taking as much as they could carry. I definitely would not have taken so much if I could have gone back.

Smart move waiting for the rain to subside, I froze my a$$ off coming down Vail Pass.