's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )


May 13, 2001 8:51 AM
I bought a floor pump a few years back for my mountain back. Now, I'm riding a road bike and my floor pump only has a Schrader valve. Is there anyway I can convert it to a Presta valve? Thanks.
re: FLOOR PUMP QUESTIONroadcyclist
May 13, 2001 10:03 AM
Depending on the pump - you should be able to buy a new hose that has BOTH presta & schrader OR just try a presta valve adapter which should be available at any decent LBS.
go the cheap and easy route...BudhaSlug
May 14, 2001 12:05 PM
although a new hose/valve head may be possible, its not worth the effort or money really. The cheap and simple solution is a presta valve adapter. They have em at pretty much LBS as they are needed for many cheap handpumps... basically its just a metal and rubber piece that you screw onto the presta valve and the end of it is the size of a schrader valve... clamp your pump on there, and you're good to go... adds about 15 seconds to you're airing up time, and the cost is a not so painful $1-2

Peace and Light,
Topeakgrz mnky
May 14, 2001 3:10 PM
You should be able to do the conversion dance between Presta and Schraeder with the pump head supplied for $0. You can spend a little more and get the adapter thingy, but it's another small part to mess with and lose. Or you can get a nifty retro fit head/hose assembly from the good folks at Topeak for around $15 and solve the whole messing about thing once and for all. they make a double head unit and a single "one size fits all" head. The biggest probelme is when you friends use your pum and either misplace small parts or break them. I've tried all three alternatives and the last one seems to work the best for me.