RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

do anybody on this board riding Giant TCR Team?(12 posts)

do anybody on this board riding Giant TCR Team?sbw
Mar 30, 2001 5:49 AM
Hi all

I'm new to this board. I've been riding for almost 8 years. I've been riding Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra (Columbus SLX) with mix Dura Ace and Ultegra gruppo, Selle San Marco saddle, Mavic rims and Vittoria tires.

Recently I saw Giant TCR Team at my local bicycle store. It was so beautiful and look rigid. I've been thinking to change the frameset to Giant.

My question :-
1) should I change the frameset?
2) is the Giant frameset worth buying in terms of quality?
3) what size should I get M or L?
4) how about the seat post? what size the seat post should be? I'm confuse with their sizing.

Thanking you for your productive feedback

regards & peace!!!
sbw
I have a question for *you*ET
Mar 30, 2001 6:01 AM
What are your measurements? We can't offer advice as to size without you telling us at least your height and bike inseam, and perhaps arm length, and your perceived flexibility. Your Merckx frame size and stem and how that feels would also be very helpful. Also, perhaps any details as to what you find lacking in your current ride. Welcome!
TCR riderMass Biker
Mar 30, 2001 6:21 AM
I'm going on my second year on the TCR Team ('00 "Once" model - yellow and anodized black). I can't say enough good things about the bike. It rides great - comfortable (remarkably so, for Al.) and stable (again, remarkably so for such funky looking geometry). While the finish on the frame is certainly not the same level as that of a handbuilt Italian frame, the welds are of high quality and the build is solid. I bought it as a frame and built it up with a mix of Ultegra and DA parts - I have moved parts on and off it as I have found them. Definitely a good way to keep costs under control. Alternatively, you could buy the frame and find another gruppo on the used marketplace for the TCR (and have the Merckx as a "B" bike). Back to the TCR - it is a great climber (it is staggeringly light), and in crits, it does a decent job (any shortcomings are mine, not the bike's). As far as fit goes - I am 6'0" and ride the size L TCR. The top tube is fairly roomy - I run a 105mm stem with a slight rise. I recommend a high quality seatpost (Dura-Ace Easton Al. or some aftermarket carbon fiber) to dampen roadshock due to the Al. frame and tight rear triangle. This is not to say that the ride is uncomfortable - I am 145lbs and not a big gear masher and find the ride quite pleasant - it's just that people underestimate the importance of a good seatpost. I think the TCR is one of the best bikes out there period - the Team TCR is the same bike as used by the pros (if that is a pro or a con for you - I don't know) and the price is unbeatable. In fact, the TCR is one of those rare examples of not having to pay a premium for an item that is tops in its class. I have raced the heck out of it for two years now and it has taken everything that I (and the crummy New England roads) have thrown at it. Let me know if you need to know anything else. Mass Biker (one satisfied customer).
re: do anybody on this board riding Giant TCR Team?Ken Ross
Mar 30, 2001 6:51 AM
I just built one up with Record 10Speed, and its awesome. The frame is light and stiff. I couldn't believe the difference in the way it climbs compared to my Specialized M2 Sworks frame.
I simply took all the measurements from my old bike, seat to bb, reach to the bars etc. and replicated it on the TCR. I'm 5'7" and rode a 52cm standard frame. I went with the M(50) TCR and used the Record Carbon seatpost. The top tube length was a bit longer on the TCR so I have a 95mm stem on it now, but may go a little longer to get a bit more stretched out.
All I can say is let all the reto-grouches say bad things about the sloping tope tube, made-in-Taiwan, etc. I'll continue to enjoy my rides on the TCR.
check giant site www.giant-bycicle.comcyclopathic
Mar 30, 2001 7:10 AM
they have fitting instruuctions.

TCR frame sizing is similar to mnt bike sizing, and you wanna run it smaller with extended seat post. Generally if you 5'5" or under you need Small if you 6'0" or more you need large, but I have seen 5'9" guys running small frame, fit properly with longer seatpost and stem.

Longer carbon seatpost dumps vibration so you dont get that teeth rattling Al ride. On other hand when you stand it is stiff.
Whats the top tube length on a medium?? Anybody know (nm)Jimbob
Mar 30, 2001 7:17 AM
nm
555mm medium, 535mm on smallcyclopathic
Mar 30, 2001 7:33 AM
nm
AMAZING THAT YOU DON'T KNOW.shmoo
Mar 30, 2001 6:57 PM
Date: March 24, 2001 01:43 PM
Author: jimbob
Subject: roadbikereview.com

"full of freds and just plain erroneous info- good for a laugh"

What? Not giving advice to the "Freds"? Actually asking for some of that "erroneous info"?
You owe this site an apology, Dude. Or should we all just consider you among the Freds and laughables now.

To the rest of the board - I'm sorry, I know this is anti-"pact", but I couldn't control myself on this one.
Go get it!nigel
Mar 30, 2001 7:19 AM
I ride last year's TCR2 (with 105 components), but the frames are quite similar. The geometry's exactly the same, but the Team's a bit lighter and is tinkered with a bit more for stiffness or whatnot.

The frame/geometry RIDES LIKE A DREAM. The fork and seatpost (along with the advanced aluminum tubes) soak up shock like nobody's business, and the handling is quick and agile (but not track-bike scary or twitchy). I was used to Italian steel, too, and the Giant is much more comfortable to me.

For fit, get these three measurements from your Merckx, then go to the shop:
1) distance from the saddle center (where it meets the seatpost) to the center of the handlebar
2) from the center of the bottom bracket/crankset to the top of the seat (where you sit mostly)
3) from the floor to the top of the handlebar flats/tops.

I ordered my bike long distance, and these measurements were what the store asked for. Helps them get the proper stem, frame, and post sizes for you. Bring these to the shop. Take them carefully, and two or three times in order to exactly replicate your current positioning.

The TCR2 frame is a super-sweet ride; I can only see the Team frame being even better -- if at all possible. Go for it; you'll love the difference. Very comfortable bike. My review may help you: http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/Bike_road/product_24833.asp

It's the second one down, I believe (the long one). Good luck, and happy trails (Well, ROADS, I mean).

Nigel
check giant site www.giant-bycicle.comcyclopathic
Mar 30, 2001 7:30 AM
they have fitting instruuctions.

TCR frame sizing is similar to mnt bike sizing, and you wanna run it smaller with extended seat post. Generally if you 5'5" or under you need Small if you 6'0" or more you need large, but I have seen 5'9" guys running small frame, fit properly with longer seatpost and stem.

Longer carbon seatpost dumps vibration so you dont get that teeth rattling Al ride. On other hand when you stand it is stiff.
TCR 1.Groucho Marx
Mar 30, 2001 1:03 PM
WEll what all that these guys here have said are true. I might add that you can't get any better price/quality/performance in terms of frames. And their geometry is pretty accomidating:

I'm 6'1. 140 bls, and I ride a medium frame (long leg, short torso), and the large frame was a bit too large for me lengthwise. But thats okay, just raise the seat, and no big deal. But be carefull, because you can never be sure exactly what size you are. I almost gave up the great deal, because they told me over the phone it was a medium. I went down there anyway, and they fitted it for me better than the motobecane I had for so long. (You may some have stem issues)
ONCE jerseysimplegreen
Mar 30, 2001 2:01 PM
Make sure you get an ONCE jersey too with the frame! Then attack your buds on the next hill. No Groupo Compacto!!

SimpleGreen

PS get a frame and bike kit. that way you have two cool bikes!