's Forum Archives - Fixed Gear

Archive Home >> Fixed Gear

what does "fixte" mean and where did the term come from?(10 posts)

what does "fixte" mean and where did the term come from?gregg
Nov 13, 2002 9:34 AM
I've seen this term used to describe a fixed gear bike, but what does it mean and where did it come from? I couldn't find it in Sheldon's glossary.

-gregg (knows nothing about fixed gear bikes, but not afraid to admit it) :-)
Not sureTig
Nov 13, 2002 12:47 PM
I think its just a nick name, like Bob Roll's "Bobke". Maybe there's a history that someone can tell us about.
I am pretty sure it is just short for fixed gear. (nm)LC
Nov 13, 2002 12:51 PM
e-mail to/from sheldon with info on "fixte" (or lack thereof!)JS Haiku Shop
Nov 14, 2002 6:19 AM
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:31:44 -0500
To: J's Haiku Shop
From: "Sheldon Brown"
Subject: Re: where did the term "fixte" originate?

At 1:39 PM -0800 11/13/02, J's Haiku Shop wrote:
>mister sheldon,
>so far as i'm aware, it's the term for a fixed-gear
>bike. do you know the history or any trivia behind the
>term "fixte"? and, how's that pronounced, exactly?

Never encountered that one. Fixy or fixie, yes, but not fixte.

All the best,

Probably from same person that created the Mixte frame...biknben
Nov 14, 2002 7:34 AM
I did a google search and came up with nearly nothing about Fixte bikes.

But a search for Mixte frame had plenty of hits.
re: what does "fixte" mean and where did the term come from?Steve_0
Nov 14, 2002 9:35 AM
MB1 is the only guy i ever saw use 'fixte'. I just presumed it was his little variation of fixie.
thanks for the help....MB1? (nm)gregg
Nov 14, 2002 9:57 AM
What am I, the Shell answer man????MB1
Nov 14, 2002 10:23 AM
I know I have always used the word "fixte" since I got my first track bike in Hawaii (30 years ago-ouch!?!). A really nice blue Zeus as I recall.

At the time there were several Euro Pros that came to Hawaii in the winter to get in some warm early season training....maybe we picked it up from them.

Who knows......
fixte is the Brit / EU term for a fixed-gearlonefrontranger
Nov 15, 2002 11:30 AM
As MB1 pointed out, anyone who's spent time around Euro pros and/or lived in Europe will pick up these and other odd terms; usually because they tend to be more elegant, succinct and descriptive. Other examples:

* Team kit: term for "uniforms"; meaning the identity apparel worn by your team / club mates.
* rear / front mech: elegant substitute for the awkward to pronounce and difficult to spell term "derailleurs"
* knackered: meaning you finished a ride dead tired; a "knacker man" is a hauler of dead animal carcasses.
* flicked: a Teuto-Anglo dual entendre meaning you dropped an annoying rival in a group ride / race by any of countless legitimate (or even marginally ethical) tactics.
* grovel / grovelling: What Cipollini looks like climbing a haute categorie col. What I look like climbing anything that drains water. What Cadel Evans did the final 5K of the 2002 Giro "queen" stage in which he wore the maglia rosa but failed to defend it. E.G., after you've grovelled up a 13K 12% average gradient climb, you are most likely knackered.
* Campag: Campagnolo equipment; used by many true aficionados in the U.S. as the more common U.S. usage "Campy" is synonomous with "tacky", which as we all know actually means "Shimano"

There are a ton of others, mostly racing specific.
re: what does "fixte" mean and where did the term come from?xxl
Nov 22, 2002 2:33 AM
I remember learning the term years ago, and I always thought it was some silly French word for "fixed." Not being French, I never investigated further.

My big question is this: Should I pronounce it "fix," "fix-tee," or even "feex"? And, you Francophones, what is the French word for "fixed," anyway? (And, please, no jokes like "Lance's Tour wins.")