RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - Cyclo-Cross


Archive Home >> Cyclo-Cross(1 2 3 )


Comments from the trailside peanut gallery?(10 posts)

Comments from the trailside peanut gallery?D_man
Jun 15, 2003 6:15 AM
Every time I take my CX bike on singletrack, I'm amused at the number of comments I get from mountain bikers. Everything from "Right on, Cyclocross!" to the annoying yuppie lady yesterday who made a comment to a friend after she thought I was out of earshot: "What's up with that dude on a ten-speed?"

Anyone have similar experiences?
All the time...The Walrus
Jun 15, 2003 10:56 AM
...my favorites are the rad dudes (I'm being sarcastic here) who've been car-shuttled to the top of a hill so they can bomb down on their gravity sleds--there's no substitute for the looks on their faces when they get blown off by this middle-aged duffer with drop bars and skinny tires. That makes the pain and effort of having ridden to the top worthwhile.
funny one recentlypauly
Jun 16, 2003 4:18 AM
I'm having a good time in the woods on my SS CX bike the other day. I slow down to let an older hiker pass through. He looks at my bike and says: "You know, that's the wrong bike for these trails." I look down and he's wearing dress socks and wingtip shoes. I smile and we each go on our merry way.
funny one recentlyatpjunkie
Jun 16, 2003 11:45 AM
yes, but it's always when I'm passing them :)
on my Friday commute I passed a group of MTBers going up a hill. One guy tried to chase me down, almost caught me but when we hit the flat fireroad section I turned up the screws and dropped him like a bad habit. after the 8 miles of offroad commute I hooked up with a group of roadies and held my own in a peloton for the final 20 miles riding 38 Geax Reverts, was a GREAT DAY.
The Strangest Excuses...peter in NVA
Jun 16, 2003 1:02 PM
On Sat took my road bike down a very muddy hill just out of sheer boredom from riding on the road during our very wet spring. I sensed someone was behind me, coming up and then falling behind. After a mile I pulled over and a dual suspension mtbr said he couldn't keep up because my skinny tires sliced the mud so well!
Hey! That was me!TCN
Jun 17, 2003 2:21 PM
Nah! Actually you dropped me long before that climb!;)
re: Comments from the trailside peanut gallery?snwbdrhoon
Jun 17, 2003 7:23 AM
I've gotten the same (funny looks, "that's the wrong bike," and "right on"), but I'm not sure if it was the fact that it was the middle of January and I was the only one on the trails in tights, too many layers in addition to the cross bike.

Funny, I've also met an older gentleman in wingtips telling me I have the wrong equipment for the trails.
At the race on Sunday...SJT
Jun 17, 2003 9:19 AM
I was approaching the steep chute that led out to the finish line and one of the race volunteers said to me, "Dude, what are you doing riding a road bike?" I just smiled and continued on my way. The race was a "mountain bike" race, but proved to be a great race for the cross bike. 80% of the race I felt being on the cross bike gave me the advantage, and the other 20% either I had to shoulder the bike (too technical or too steep to climb) or it didn't matter what bike you were on (MUD). Some people just don't get cross bikes and that's fine, you can't waste your time educating everyone.
-Steve
At the Series out hereatpjunkie
Jun 17, 2003 9:47 AM
people gave strange looks as well. was funny running by MTBers on short steep inclines that they were attempting to granny up.
There were numerous places where portage was much faster. I guess they are feeling funnier now as two cxers (not me) won their classes (Pro and Sport 24-30), the pro finished 1st, 2nd and 1st in the 3 races.
A lady with kids . . .ElvisMerckx
Jun 23, 2003 9:41 AM
. . . scolded me and told me that I was ruining a perfectly good bike. Her poor kids.