RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - Cyclo-Cross

Archive Home >> Cyclo-Cross(1 2 3 )

'Cross Bike Controls(8 posts)

'Cross Bike ControlsJake Gilchrist
Sep 10, 2001 3:12 PM
Hello All-

My sweet custom powder coated orange 2000 Surly Cross X Check is pretty much dialed for its second season, but I am thinking that I might want to make some upgrades in the controls area. I have a few questions:

1. I currently have a pair of 44cm (c-c) 3T bars on my cross bike. What size Salsa Moto Ace would be comparable?

2. Is there a significant change in performance between XT cantis and Avid Shorties? If so, are the Shorty 6s that much better than the Shorty4s?

3. I currently have 8-speed Shimano 600 STI and it bums me out because the throw is so long for shifting. I have 9-speed Ultegra on road bike and it is much more responsive. Was long throw shifting a characteristic of the 600 8-spd stuff or did I make a mistake when dialing it in?

Oh, and one non-controls related question:

4. That huge BMX-style seat clamp really gets in the way of the cantilever cable hanger. What are other Surly owners doing about that? It seems like it really impacts braking performance.

Thanks,
jAke
re: 'Cross Bike ControlsBrian Robinson
Sep 10, 2001 4:13 PM
1. I'd stick with 44's on the Moto Ace bars. The flares will be a bit wider, but that will help off road. I love my moto Ace's. I've got them on three bikes.

2. It all depends how you set up the XT's. I actually prefer my LX's to the Avid shorty 4's. Basically, I set them up to behave like the Avids. Set them up so that the brake pad post is just barely in the arm. Doing so puts the arms out at about a 45 degree angle from the fork blades. An added bonus is much improved mud clearance.
Salsa Barstriangleforge
Sep 12, 2001 12:02 PM
I asked the same question of Salsa, and below is their response (which arrived in my e-mail box about 20 minutes after I asked!!!). The bottom line for me is that I'm going to stick with my standard size for road bars in the Salsa Moto Ace.

Subject: RE: Bell Lap Bar Measurement
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:25:12 -0500
From: Tim Bocklund, Salsa Cycles
To: "'Brad DeVries'"

Straight scoop is that the bars are measured where the hoods are mounted,
center to center. Because we measure center to center our bars ARE wider
than other manufacturers who measure outside to outside. BUT the Bell Laps
are measured at about the top of the curve, near where the hoods would be
mounted. They flare 12 degrees at the bottom, which would make them about
6CM wider at the bottoms than they are at the hoods. It's not a DRAMATIC
flare, it's noticable (if yer looking) and very much functional, but not a
CRAZY bend way out. It's a slight bend. How's that? Pman

> ----------

Salsa BarsTi Fat Chance Guy
Sep 12, 2001 1:00 PM
ditto that. My 46cm Bell Laps measure 46cm at the hoods, and 52cm at the bottom of the flare. It's NOT a dramatic flare. Nothing like the WTB dirt drops that most people bring to mind.

Ryan
Salsa BarsTi Fat Chance Guy
Sep 12, 2001 1:05 PM
pic of the above description
Is that an Amp fork w/ 26" or 700c wheels?Colin S.
Sep 12, 2001 7:31 PM
Hi. I was wondering if I could run an Amp fork on my 'cross bike. I have an old Halson laying around, so I might try that.

Colin S.
Is that an Amp fork w/ 26" or 700c wheels?Ti Fat
Sep 13, 2001 4:28 AM
26" wheels. sorry.

yup, it's a carbon AMP.

Ryan
re: 'Cross Bike Controlsihomebrew
Apr 8, 2002 9:15 AM
I would stick with your XT cantis. I have used Avids (the 2000 year model Shorty 15C) with DA levers and I did not like them one bit. They never felt right and were always mushy. I have also used LX, Mr. Grumpy and Frogglegs.