's Forum Archives - Components

Archive Home >> Components(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )

Braze on -vs- Clamp?(7 posts)

Braze on -vs- Clamp?crestlinefarm
Feb 5, 2004 6:46 AM
I bought a component group and the front derailer turns out to be a braze-on model. My frame doesn't have the mounting bracket, what's the thought on having the bracket welded on?
In the mean time, I bought an "adapter" clamp, and while I don't really like the look, it's the sloppiness that bothers me. The derailer will actually shift 5-10 degrees in the clamp, regardless of how tight to the frame I make it. Is this normal or is the derailer shot?
Feb 5, 2004 6:52 AM
Forget about doing any welding, just get the correct clamp-on.
ClampRusty Coggs
Feb 5, 2004 7:42 AM
There are 'adapter' clamps that allow a braze on to work on a frame without the tab,and they work well. Nashbar has an inexpensive one, and there are others listed in QBP at LBS.
re: Braze on -vs- Clamp?Rusty Coggs
Feb 5, 2004 7:48 AM
I use the adapter on several frames.No problem. Sounds like you ought to cut your losses and get a derailer with the proper diameter clamp. Sometimes they are hard to find even to they are listed.Many places find it easier to just carry the braze on and sell the adapter to go with it. Don't go with the idea of welding on a tab.
I think you bought the wrong size adaptor...TFerguson
Feb 5, 2004 8:45 AM
Shimano doesn't even make derailleurs in all the sizes. You just buy the braze-on and the adapter clamp. I have two that work well.
someting is wrong...C-40
Feb 5, 2004 10:18 AM
Adapters can be a bit clunky looking, but a good adapter should duplicate the function of a braze-on clamp perfectly. From your description, your adapter clamps to the seat tube properly (yes?), but the derailleur does not bolt solidly to the adapter. Perhaps you got a cheap or incorrectly made adapter.

Be sure that the movement that you're seeing is actually occurring at the junction of the derailleur and adapter and not just the derailleur cage moving. You'll have to figure that one out on your own.

Shimano makes adapters that should be of high quality and function with any derailleur. They are available at
Thanks for the advicecrestlinefarm
Feb 5, 2004 11:52 AM
I'm pretty sure I've just got a cheap clamp adapter. It fits fine to the tube (31.8) but wiggles where the clamp meets the derailer. For now, I'll put on a Tiagra clamp-on derailer I have lying around (just wanted all the parts to "match") and order the correct Shimano adapter.