's Forum Archives - Components

Archive Home >> Components(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )

Who makes/sells those gel pads for handlebar ?(7 posts)

Who makes/sells those gel pads for handlebar ?PeterRider
Jan 24, 2004 2:49 PM
The ones you put on the handlebar, below the bar wrap. I think they've been mentioned on this forum already


re: Who makes/sells those gel pads for handlebar ?divve
Jan 24, 2004 2:58 PM
Specialized has something called Bar Phat.
re: Who makes/sells those gel pads for handlebar ?StmbtDave
Jan 26, 2004 9:56 AM
Unfortunately, you can't buy just the gel pads. The specialized version only comes with bar tape. The tape comes in any color you want as long as it's black.

amoung others... Specialized and Cinelli. nm.russw19
Jan 24, 2004 7:00 PM
Specialized Bar Phat- get it from their site or an LBSCoolhand
Jan 26, 2004 6:42 AM
Its really nice and come with a good quality black tape to boot. I have it on my cross and road bike, and it makes quite a difference.

Mechanic's toolbox lining foam!Bill J Pappas
Jan 25, 2004 10:18 AM
You can find it at any Home Depot, or other hardware store. Comes in different sizes, thicknesses, and densities. I bought one 12X16 of that foam(costed me $1.99) and cut pieces to fit onto my handlebars' drops/tops. Still have enough left over, to last me for several years worth of bar-tape changes :^) !
Just got the Specialized Bar Phatlendog
Jan 26, 2004 7:58 AM
Just had the LBS put the 2.5 mm Bar Phat on my bars. I have carpel tunnel in both hands and it makes a huge difference. Did a 42 mile ride yesterday and it definetly provides more cusion for hands. The gel packs stick to the top of the bar as well as the drops and you wrap the bar tape over them.

I think the trick is not to wrap the tape so tightly that you compress the gel padding underneath. I think it works very well, especially in my situation. It is not too soft either - which is also good.