's Forum Archives - Components

Archive Home >> Components(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )

Bent rear derailler and derailler hanger.(7 posts)

Bent rear derailler and derailler hanger.JELLIOTWELLS
Sep 17, 2003 8:18 AM
I recently bent my rear derailler and derailler hanger transporting my bike in my car. This is a good excuse for me to upgrade my rear derailler, and fortunately my derailler hanger appears replaceable. I already ordered an ultegra derailler replacement, but I am not sure where I can get a derailler hanger. I have a Specialized allez A1. I called the bike shop and they want me to bring it in of course. Anyone ever order one on line, if so where?
It's probably easily fixedalmccm
Sep 17, 2003 9:23 AM
Your bike shop should have the $50 alignment tool. It will probably take them 5 to 10 minutes to realign your current hanger and cost you about $10 to $15.
It's probably easily fixedJELLIOTWELLS
Sep 17, 2003 9:45 AM
Thanks - I am always worried I will get raked over the coals. No offense to those that own bike shops - I live in NYC and our shops have a tendency to be on the pricey side.
Yes, but that's probably not the fix,TJeanloz
Sep 17, 2003 10:30 AM
The aluminum hanger on the A1 would almost definitely snap off if you were to bend it back. Thankfully, it is replacable, and any Specialized dealer should be able to pop a new one on.

If the derailleur itself is bent, you will almost definitely need a new one.
Well, it worked for my Specialized Allez A1almccm
Sep 17, 2003 10:47 AM
Mine got bent (I'm not sure whether the hanger was bent or the piece of frame to which it's attached). I had it realigned, the guy that did it had no problems realigning it (he did warn me in advance that if the hanger was too badly damaged he would have to replace it). Everything has been fine since then. It cost about $10.
Well, it worked for my Specialized Allez A1TJeanloz
Sep 17, 2003 11:01 AM
With a relatively small bend, it probably could be bent back - though it will be weaker. A really bent hanger would almost certainly need to be replaced.
Take it into the shop, so that they can order the correct oneMR_GRUMPY
Sep 17, 2003 11:02 AM
Have them order a spare, in case you bend another one.