RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - Components


Archive Home >> Components(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )


Pantour hubs(17 posts)

Pantour hubsNikolas
Jun 12, 2003 9:16 AM
I have read reviews from Pantour's own site, but their hubs are not listed in RoadBikeREVIEW.com so I just thought that maybe there are some people here that have tried them. Are they good?

http://www.pantourhub.com/products.html
Good for nothing.MR_GRUMPY
Jun 12, 2003 9:58 AM
Just think about slamming on the brakes and having the pads either miss the rim, or going into the tire.
Might be OK for slow, fat people on single speed bikes.
So actually and honestly speaking ...Nikolas
Jun 12, 2003 11:05 AM
... you don't know, but wanted to say something, because the product is different than the others and that is a good reason to blame any new product.

I expected to see a review, a real one. I can wait.
They were reviewed in cyclingnews.........MR_GRUMPY
Jun 12, 2003 11:17 AM
and the review was funny.
Mr Gurmpyarderra
Jun 12, 2003 3:06 PM
Ohhh Mr Grumpy, you have a "way" with words (never stop!!!!)
It was a real review!SnowBlind
Jun 12, 2003 2:57 PM
See?

"Might be OK for slow, fat people on single speed bikes."
He did review it!

He does bring out a possible design issue, how do the breaks work if the rim moves around? How about fork clearence? Might not work well on a low clearance fork.

I would email the company and see what they say. My guess is that any resistance on the wheel would tend to lock the hub in the max or min position. They might require a high clearence fork as well.
re: Pantour hubstobinb
Jun 12, 2003 11:54 AM
Actually, thanks for that post! I think those hubs would rock on my bros wheelchair so i sent him the link. however on a bike... i dont know. i wont knock it untill you try it.
Hahahahahahaha!!!!!Alexx
Jun 12, 2003 1:17 PM
This IS a joke, isn't it?

Well, it might look good on the fork of your Autobike...........
There are reviewsNikolas
Jun 12, 2003 1:55 PM
There are reviews written by people who use Pantour hubs. To me it does not look like a joke. If it was totally crap, they would not sell it.

http://www.pantourhub.com/reviews/index.html

At least there are customers who seem to be satisfied with the product.
If it was totally crap, they would not sell it.russw19
Jun 12, 2003 6:00 PM
Ah, the mantra of the mislead...

Think about the Gremlin, the Ford Festiva, The Yugo, Huffy full suspension, ab rollers and those electronic belts that zap your abs into shape, yet millions of these products are sold. Why, because some people will believe anything they read. No matter what better informed people tell them. People will only hear what they want to hear, not what they need to hear.

If you want to buy these hubs, that's your business, but I really have a hard time with you coming onto a forum and asking for a review, then trying to belittle the person who offered you the advice you asked for. Why ask if you don't want to hear the replies?

Russ
Hey !!!!! I bought all those things....MR_GRUMPY
Jun 12, 2003 7:27 PM
because I was told that they were great...
I would give an 80% probability that he was trying to push his product. Kinda like the "Halo" sweatband guy. If these guys fall into the 20%, well intentioned but uninformed, well ......sorry.
Let me explainNikolas
Jun 13, 2003 3:31 AM
>If you want to buy these hubs, that's your business, but I really have a hard time with you coming onto a forum and asking for a review, then trying to belittle the person who offered you the advice you asked for. Why ask if you don't want to hear the replies?

Ok. Sometimes I see an interesting product in a picture, but I can not hold it in my hands or try to use it so that I could tell something about the quality. Of course the manufacturer knows how good his product is and definitely wants to advertise it. Certainly he does not want to advertise the possible drawbacks of his product. So I have seen an advertisement and nothing more. But I'd like to see something more before I try the product by myself. You see, they don't actually give them away. I should pay. If the next information comes from someone who knows exactly as much as I do, which is not much, then the value of his words is close to zero. Just because he has not any more first hand experience of the product than I do.

If I was blind, I would not ask another blind to lead me over the road.

What do YOU think? How are good reviews done?
A faux-review for you...Quack
Jun 13, 2003 11:18 AM
Unique design. Looks like a well built product. They state in their FAQs that the brake pad contact patch does not change much in use because their suspension works diagonal to the fork plane. Which to me(not an engineer) translates into less actual suspension travel felt at the bars than their marketing materials will claim. Using the old pythagorean theorem, .5 inch of travel on the diagonal would yield what, about .375 vertically. I won't knock it for that though, as I couldn't tell you if diagonal travel would have the same or less effect on comfort.

One thing I could add that applies to this forum as far as road riders are concerned. If you want to slow down a bit and be more comfortable, give it a try. Suspension is the devil when it comes to putting the small amount of power that a human produces into the pavement efficiently. But hey, if your hands don't go numb and you finish that century without a sore a$$, money well spent. Who uses brakes anyway??

Larry
3/8" will put my pads into my tire.MR_GRUMPY
Jun 13, 2003 1:06 PM
Just imagine going down a hill at 45 mph. Just as you apply the brakes, you hit a bump. Instead of grabbing the rim, the pads grab the tire. Result: Not pretty.......
Let me explainrussw19
Jun 13, 2003 2:28 PM
An advertisers whole existance relies on them selling a product to you. They don't care if the product works, their job is to sell it. If you saw an ad, assume everything you see and read in that ad is soley to make you want to buy the product. The person who makes the ad and the person that paid them to do so both have a vested interest in your buying into everything they tell you. Mr. Grumpy has no vested interest in that product and is 100% more likely to give you an impartial opinion (and yes, it is still only his opinion) than the ad or the manufacturer. Also, there is this thing called liability.. if the manufacturer knows the hub sucks and still sells it to you, they will not only ruin their own reputation, but open themselves up to lawsuits if the product fails and they know ahead of time of a design flaw.

If you were blind, the most blind person you could ask for directions would be the manufacturer or the advertiser to lead you down the road. Ask someone who has nothing at stake and you will get a much more truthful response to your query.

That's what I think. Good reviews are not done by advertisers or manufacturers, that's good hype and propaghanda. Good reviews are done by people who have nothing to gain by sharing their thougts and ideas about how well something works.

And my now my question to you. If the people on this boards' value of their words is close to zero, why ask here? If that is how you feel, don't ask for speculation (which much of reviews really are) but stick to learning for yourself and making up your own mind.

Just a thought...

Russ

By the way, just get some really nice bar tape like Cinelli Gel or Stella Azzura Pave' tape and a good pair of gloves and you will get the same if not better results and you won't even have to rebuild the front wheel, and it will save you a bunch of money.
An answer to your questionNikolas
Jun 13, 2003 5:17 PM
>And my now my question to you. If the people on this boards' value of their words is close to zero, why ask here?

Because I thought that maybe someone here has tried that Pantour hub and thus knows more about it, and also is not paid by the manufacturer.

If I trusted Pantour 100% I would not ask reviews here. In that case I'd just buy their product.
An answer to your questionrussw19
Jun 14, 2003 1:24 AM
Hey Nikolas, I see your point 100%. I just wanted to point out that you are asking questions in a open internet forum. You are likely to get a few answers that may help you, a few that won't and a few that are just blatently wrong. It will be up to you to determine who you should trust if you are going to ask others what they think.. I was hammering that point (and maybe a little too hard, so I am sorry if I seemed rude about it) to show you that.

But I have worked in bike shops for 15 years and have seen every darn gimmick regarding suspension for several years now. (I worked in mountain bike shops all thru the 90's, so I saw it all) and I have to agree with Mr. Grumpy, this looks like a really shady idea. If you need that minimal amount of extra suspension, switch to 25 mm or 28 mm tires and better bar tape and gloves. Or run your tires 5 psi lower than what you normally put in them. That's the cheapest form of suspension you can get is airing down your tires a little bit.

Russ