's Forum Archives - Components

Archive Home >> Components(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )

changing to a triple(16 posts)

changing to a triplewillem marcelis
Nov 28, 2002 11:29 AM
Can anybody tell me what I do need to change my dura-ace crankset in a triple dura-ace. Is it necessary to change the derailleurs (front and back) as well?
re: changing to a tripleAndy M-S
Nov 28, 2002 1:40 PM
Alas, Shimano doesn't sell the inner and granny rings separately, so...

You will need:

New BB, new crankset (DA Triple), new front and rear derailers, probably a new chain, and, unless the DA left shifter is triple-compatible, a new left shifter.

That's a fair amount of stuff...and DA ain't cheap. Depending on for what purpose you want the triple, you might even want to consider a second bike with 105 triple components...
Do you really need a new front derailleur?Kerry
Nov 28, 2002 3:51 PM
I had the impression that Shimano, like Campy, had only one FD in each model. Doesn't the standard derailleur have enough throw to cover 3 rings? Also, if you're willing to manage your shifting a bit (stay away from the large/large and small/small combo ranges), you may be able to make do with a standard rear derailleur.
The front derailleurs are different.Spoke Wrench
Nov 29, 2002 5:15 AM
I haven't seen a DA triple, so I can't say for sure about that, but Ultegra and 105 front derailleurs are different for doubles and triples. The triple has a deeper inner cage to pick up the chain a little better on granny to middle ring shifts. I also think that the cage is a little longer so the chain won't rub on the back in some of the little/little combinations even though most people don't use those gears.

The component that you can definitely skimp on is the new chain since the length needed to cover the big/big combination doesn't change very much.

A place you probably skimp is the rear derailleur. Since most riders only use the granny with the two or three largest cogs, you can get by without having enough slack take up to cover the whole casette with the granny.
Lots of stuff (including shifters) is different.Andy M-S
Nov 29, 2002 5:30 AM
When I recently triplized my Bianchi, I was fortunate to have an extra triple FD lying around. On the old double, the chain was rubbing on the rear support of the cage when I was in the granny.

Remember also that if you don't have all the slack accounted for, sometime you may make a shift and have something very bad happen.

Ah--for a listing of parts, including all the triple-compatible stuff, check out:
you need new derailleurs...C-40
Nov 29, 2002 6:10 AM
Campy has a dedicated triple front derailleur.

As far as using a short cage rear derailleur goes, shimano has a 29 tooth capacity. If a 30 tooth little ring is added (53/39/30), the extra 9 tooth capacity has to be obtained somewhere. If you use a 12-27 cassette, only the 2 largest cogs would be useable with the 30T ring. The chain would hang loose in anything smaller than the 24T cog.

Better to just buy one of the triple conversion kits and be done with it.
you need new derailleurs...Rusty Coggs
Nov 29, 2002 6:21 AM
Have you actually tried a short cage with a triple or are you just 'running the numbers'? Specs tend to be conservative,and my short cage triple setups cover more range than your reply suggest.
just running the numbers...C-40
Nov 29, 2002 3:01 PM
Never tried this, but at the best you might get to use the three lowest cogs. Not a setup that I'd want.
actuallyRusty Coggs
Nov 29, 2002 8:09 PM
There is a 22 tooth difference in the front and 27 to the 19 is another 8,makes 30,for the 4 largest cogs on a 12-27. Probably doable, and the granny is just a bailout anyway.
re: changing to a tripleSkoop
Dec 10, 2002 6:21 PM
The least expensive way I know of to change from a Shimano double to a Shimano tripple is first to contact Peter White Cycles (web site from Google). Specialites TA (This Co. made Lance A.'s rings for his Tour win) makes a trippler for the D-A cranks, and as far as I've found, Peter is the only place to get the parts. You will need to buy 1. The TA Alize/K middle ring which is also the trippler. 2. A Tripple BB (118mm which is wider) 3. a rear tripple derailleur. 4. a front tripple derailleur. 5. The left STI. You can use a D-A front and D-A rear derailleur if you have a 14 tooth difference between the middle and outer chain ring. But you have to use an Ultregra front derailleur if you have a 10 tooth difference. Those are the only two options with shimano for smooth shifting. The next thing to do is decide what gear ratios you want, but you must stay within the chain ring tooth differences mentioned above for the D-A and Ultregra front deraileurs. A 50X40x26 will work with the Ultegra, and you might want a 52x38x24 if you choose the D-A. You can use a D-A rear derailleur regardless of the tooth difference, but the front D-A has to be replaced with an Ultegra if you go the 10 tooth difference. With either the 10 tooth difference or the 14 tooth difference you can use an Ultregra rear derailleur. Look up "gearz" web site to help you decide on which ratios to use. The inner ring can be any size. All this is on Peter's site, and he's very helpful on the phone. Specialites TA make every size of chain rings, so have a blast deciding what will work best for you. Peter and his wife Linda were very helpful when I recently called them to help me change my New Trek 5900 to a tripple. It now is a Ferrari Chassis with a VW engine.
re: changing to a triplepmf1
Nov 29, 2002 6:24 AM
I converted my wife's bike to a DA triple. I pretty much bought the whole group less hubs and brakes. You need crankset, BB, read derailer (the triple version has a long cage), front derailer and shifters. Colorado Cyclist (and others sells upgrade kits. CC's is $729 and also includes a chain and cassette which you don't need if you're already using 9-speed Ultegra or DA.

Not cheap, but if you need it, you need it. You can try using a 12-27 cassette and a 38 tooth Sugino ring (I did this for Ride the Rockies). Hey, every little bit helps. You could also get an XT rear derailer and use a bigger mtn bike casssette. Neither of these will give you the gear a triple will, but they may do the trick (esp the mtn bike cassette) for a lot cheaper.
re: changing to a tripleGrant
Nov 29, 2002 7:20 AM
Im using an 8sp 11-30 TI XTR cassette Works great. Cheaper for me than to change everything out. Good Luck!!
re: changing to a tripledan ida
Nov 30, 2002 8:55 PM
What type of rear deraileur did you use with the xtr cassette? I'm planning to try to do the same thing with my bike for springtime. If you used a mountian deraileur, what (and how well did it shift) type of shifter did you use (STI?)?

mountain and road shifters have same ratiosJFST
Dec 1, 2002 3:07 AM
Shimano's mountain and road shifters all use the same pull ratio's so it doesn't matter what shifter you use as long as its 9 speed. I believe even the shifting mechanism inside an STI lever is the same as a mountain bike shifting pod. Its common for downhill mountain bike races to do the opposite and use road derrailleurs and cassettes with mountian bike shifter pods. The short cage or road derrailleurs allows for crisper and faster shifting and the large sprockets of a mountain cassette are useless.
re: changing to a tripleJFST
Nov 29, 2002 3:08 PM
If you want to do it right you'll basically need to change everything except the cassette.
get your money back by selling the double. Triple is great !PeterRider
Nov 29, 2002 6:31 PM
triple is great for knees on climbs.

bought 2002 almost not used Ultegra triple, sold 2000 used Ultegra double. This cost me about 20$ in total. Not so expensive...