RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - Components

Archive Home >> Components(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )

LOOK Fork warrantee problem(7 posts)

LOOK Fork warrantee problemjjohnson05
Nov 8, 2002 3:09 PM
I bought a LOOK KG281 in the UK in January and brought it back to the US. Last month I started to service the headset only to discover that there was a bulge in the carbon steering tube that prevented me from removing the headset pieces because they would not slide over it. I pulled out my warrantee book and emailed LOOK in France per the instructions and explained the problem. They emailed back and directed me to contact Velimpex, the US distributor. Velimpex's LOOK product manager said that since they did not import the fork that they would do nothing for me. He suggested that I take it back to the dealer I bought it from (I can see him laughing as he said that). I emailed LOOK again over a week ago and have gotten no response. Be warned, IF YOU HAVE A LOOK FORK OR FRAME WARRANTEE, YOU HAVE NOTHING.
re: VELTEC importer of LOOKjjohnson05
Nov 8, 2002 3:16 PM
SOOOOOOOOOO SORRY, the US importer of Look frames is VELTEC not Velimpex. Velimpex are great people and import Selle San Marco saddles. Sorry Velimpex
I've bought all my LOOK frames in the UK.......Dave Hickey
Nov 8, 2002 6:22 PM
With the FULL understanding that, if I have a problem, Veltec will not help me. I don't blame Veltec. LOOK frames cost a lot more here in the US vs the UK. There is nothing wrong with LOOK's warrantee. Why haven't you gone back to the company in the UK? They are the ones who should take care of you.
LOOK instructionsjjohnson05
Nov 9, 2002 5:53 AM
This email will explain why I contacted Veltec:

Did you tell them you purchased in the UK.?....Dave Hickey
Nov 9, 2002 9:11 AM
Veltec is not going to warrantee anything they didn't sell. If you go to LOOK's website, they show the distributor in the UK. I believe it's Blueridge something. Try sending them an email.
That's the crux of it,TJeanloz
Nov 9, 2002 9:34 AM
VELTEC, in my experience with them on LOOK, SIDI, and Easton product warranty work, is that they are among the very best in the business for warrantying things that they are obligated to warranty. They are very prickly however, about 'gray market' goods. Excel had some gray market pedals a couple of years ago that VELTEC refused to warranty. And with good reason- why should they warranty something they didn't sell? This fork is clearly not theirs, and the buyer admits as much, so I don't see why they should warranty it. These are the pitfalls of buying things abroad. Should LOOK warranty it? Absolutely. Should VELTEC? Probably not.
re: A Look is a Look, wherever it is purchasedWackycyd28
Nov 11, 2002 7:52 AM
Sitting on the fence so to speak, I think the issue of the fork warranty is being missed.
There's clearly a problem with the forks and so need to be replaced, knowing all to well, from being in the bike business for 14+ years, dealers around the world, distributing the same products, ie, Look, are not happy to help out with a product that is purchased elsewhere, which in my eyes is ridiculous as at the end of the day, the forks will be returned back to Look (France) and the importer from wherever they may be will be compensated for that warranty claim, simple business sense really, or so you'd think.
I've encounterd the same trouble with a UK purchased Look frame that went to Australia, Australian distributors were no help and so the frame ended up being sent back to the UK, and was replaced straight away, well after it was looked at by Look in France.
Anyway, enough of my ramblings, I would recomend contacting Blueridge direct, their e-mail address is sales@blueridge.co.uk, who I'm sure will help you with the next step to take.

With regards to a grey import, well if the frame was purchased by an un-official Look dealership, then yes it is a Grey import, but this is not the issue, maybe something to discuss at a later date.

Look France, have a word with your distributors, it'll save a lot of trouble and be good customer service.

Hope this is of help.