's Forum Archives - Components

Archive Home >> Components(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )

anyone know a gizmo to allow double shifter be a triple(7 posts)

anyone know a gizmo to allow double shifter be a triplecowsinus
Nov 5, 2002 1:16 PM
does anyone know the name of that gizmo that goes between your derailer housing and sti shifter? it has a little lever that efectively lengthens the housing on the left shifter to allow a triple chainring to be used with a double shifter.
I believe it's called a "New Shifter" (nm)Alexx
Nov 5, 2002 1:52 PM
Sort'aSpoke Wrench
Nov 5, 2002 2:30 PM
There used to be a gizmo like that that came on some Santana tandems. It's use, however, was to allow an 8 speed STI to operate as a 9 speed with 8 speed cassette spacing. I think maybe it was a Ritchie product, but I don't remember for sure.
Gizmo? I thought it was a doo-dadAllez Rouge
Nov 5, 2002 2:42 PM
But seriously folks ...

I'm not going to be much help, either. I know about the device you are talking about; some third-party manufacturer came up with it back in the early or mid-1990s. Only cost about ten bucks, if memory serves. I want to say that I read somewhere, and not too long ago, that the device was only sold for a short while (a couple years?) and then disappeared, possibly because of lack of demand. You might call either Branford or Harris; if anyone knows where to find the gadget, one or both of them will. Sorry I can't offer more.
re: anyone know a gizmo to allow double shifter be a triplePjkad
Nov 5, 2002 3:33 PM
I had one put on my Cannondale (don't have anymore) years ago, and it worked fine. My LBS put it on and I don't know brand or manufacturer. Check a few LBS's.
re: anyone know a gizmo to allow double shifter be a triplekestrel guy
Nov 6, 2002 4:50 AM
Yes, I am familiar with what you are talking about.
I have one in a parts drawer. It was made by Erickson Bicycle Company.
It fits into your STI mount and in between your cable and cable stop. It is silver and has a little lever sticking out of it. It moves your triple front derailleur over to the third chainring.
If you are interested in it, reply back and we can talk further.
I know for a fact these aren't made anymore, and haven't been for almost 7 yrs.

I hope that helps.

Are you running newer Shimano STI's?timfire
Nov 8, 2002 2:06 PM
As noone else has said this, I will.

Are you running newer Shimano STI's? If so then you don't need an adaptor. With the exception of Dura-Ace, all Shimano shifters are technically triples. Doubles are simply adjusted so that the middle position is un-used. But if you use Campy, older Shiamno, or something else... then I don't know.

--Tim Kleinert