's Forum Archives - Components

Archive Home >> Components(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )

Friction to STI... stupid question...(7 posts)

Friction to STI... stupid question...funknuggets
Jun 3, 2002 10:37 AM
Ok, this is going to show my ignorance here. When upgrading a bike from downtube friction shifters to STI, what is the name of the part that bolts through the holes in the frame (where the old shifters were) that the STI cables connect to... with the barrel adjusters. Im trying to explain to someone how to do it but cannot think of the term for it, other than "thingy"...

thanks in advance

You mean the housing stop?Silverback
Jun 3, 2002 10:44 AM
Around here, at least, it's also called a "cable stop." But it doesn't really stop the cable. The first couple I bought, though, I asked for "the thing that bolts to the holes in the frame..."
shifter bosses? (nm)simstress
Jun 3, 2002 12:41 PM
"shifter boss braze-on, nm"BIGBOB
Jun 4, 2002 4:08 AM
Call 'em whatever you want.Spoke Wrench
Jun 4, 2002 6:33 AM
If you buy a new set of Shimano STI levers, they'll be in the box.
Call 'em whatever you want.funknuggets
Jun 6, 2002 7:34 AM
well, it just so happens he is buying the shifters from ME and I dont have an extra one laying around!!! Thanks to all for your assistance.
In that caseSpoke Wrench
Jun 6, 2002 9:46 AM
They are "Shimano cable stops." There are actually four different ones listed in Quality's catalogue.

FS1066 fits 1 1/8" down tube $6.50 wholesale
FS1069 flat back to fit aluminum frames $6.50
FS1095 STI stop to fit 1 1/8" down tube $15.00
FS1096 STI flat back stop $15.00

The STI style stops look to me to be functionally the same. Both styles have built-in cable adjusters. The STI style have a cooler-looking knob on the right side cable adjuster.