's Forum Archives - Components

Archive Home >> Components(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )

Dura Ace front derailer(2 posts)

Dura Ace front derailerlongfellow68
May 30, 2002 2:47 AM
I'm trying to put a front derailer on a Cervelo fame, and the seat tube is not a round tube. It has tab welded on to it to mount a derailer. So do I order a: Braze-on derailer???
WTF does Braze-on mean??
The other derailers are clamp ons (1-1/8", 1-1/4", etc) which i'm sure wont work...
re: Dura Ace front derailerPaul
May 30, 2002 3:37 AM
You're correct in ordering the braze-on. You'll find that it will be easier to setup on the Cervello ( or any other simillar bike with the bracket) because you don't have to worry about derailleur/chain alignment. I have both types. The derailleur attaches to the bracket by means of a bolt which goes through a loose metal part on the derailleur then screws thru the bracket into the body of the derailleur. It's kind of strange that if there is a clamp already on the bike, you would use a braze-on. clamps-ons only come in a couple of standard sizes, and most bikes have different sizes on the seat tube.

I think what they mean is that the part of the derailleur body that the bolt goes thru is welded to the derailleur. A braze on can go on a clamp or a bracket, and a clamp-on already comes with a clamp.

Have fun, and remember that it's critcal to get the height of the derailleur (over the teeth of the big chain ring) set properly (2 mm). the teeth will vary slightly in height, so try to find the tooth with the highest rise, then set the deraileur 2 mm over it.