RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - Components


Archive Home >> Components(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )


Campy 10 vs 9 speed(8 posts)

Campy 10 vs 9 speedbikenraider99
May 23, 2002 10:51 AM
I'm building up my frame now, and have decided to try out the Campy line up. I'm going with the Chorus group. As stated, I'm torn between 9 & 10 Speed. Price is virtually the same for the groups, however, I am getting different "sales" ploys. 10 speed is the way of the future, 9 speed parts will become harder to get, I'll need the 10 speed, etc. Bottom line, other than the extra 2 gears the 10 speed gives me, what other benefits are there? I've noticed the 10 sp chain and chain tool are pretty high, so, does that mean maintenence is going to be relatively high for a while too? I personally don't see trouble in the future for 9 speed parts. Older campy owners can chime in too about the availability of their parts.
Two things;SnowBlind
May 23, 2002 12:00 PM
1. Use a whipperman chain, or just the link. No tools.
2. Campy never wanted to make a 9 speed. They wanted to go to 10 in the first place, but could not beat Shimano to market. 10 is here to stay.

ok 3 things:
3. no "center" gear with 10 speed.(or any other even number) I hate that. Oh well.
I run 9 speed, butMcAndrus
May 23, 2002 12:43 PM
10 speed can't hurt unless you race. Most neutral support rear wheels will have Shimano type cassettes and a 9-speed Campy is able to work on a 9-speed Shimano cassette - albeit with mediocre shifting.

If you're not racing, I'd say go with 10-speed.
Still a Catch 22 then?bikenraider99
May 23, 2002 1:26 PM
I do some racing, I'd say about 45% of my paid rides are racing, the other 55% are just fun/charity rides.

On the Wipperman chain, what do you mean by no tools? If possible, I was going to use a SACHS chain.
no catch, no sachs....C-40
May 23, 2002 1:56 PM
The Wipperman and IRD quick connector links require no tools to connect, just like the Sachs (now SRAM) "Powerlink". SRAM doesn't have a 10 speed chain out yet. Campy has just changed their connector link to a new design that requires a different installation tool than the previous "permalink". Don't bother with this link. There are better options. Also, don't use a 9 speed chain with the 10 speed system.

The Wipperman 10 speed "connex" link will work fine with a campy 10 chain. These chains are dimensionally the same. The connex link can be purchased from Performance Bicycle for $5.

Here's the other thing that no one has seemed to figure out. It's commonly accepted that a shimano 9 speed cassette will work marginally with a campy 9 drivetrain. The cog spacing on campy 9 is 4.55mm, while shimano's is 4.32mm. The spacing difference is .23mm (or 5%). Campy 10 speed cog spacing is 4.12mm, which is .20mm narrower than shimano 9 speed. A shimano 9 cassette, used with a campy 10 drivetrain shouldn't shift any worse, since the spacing difference is actually slightly less. If you had to swap wheels in a race, the only thing to a avoid would be shifting to the 10th cog. The shifting shouldn't be any worse than using a campy 9 drivetrain.
9 IS obsolete as far as most are concernedJohnG
May 23, 2002 6:44 PM
9 is only useful if you're going to run a cross bike in SERIOUS mud.

I can't believe you are getting advice to go 9. ???? WTF!!
JohnG
re: Campy 10 vs 9 speedtarwheel
May 24, 2002 6:13 AM
It sounds like this wouldn't be an issue with you, but I got the 10 speed so I could use the 13-29 cassette. I've got most of the climbing gears of a triple with none of the hassle. If you don't need the big climbing gears, the 12-25 is a pretty nice option -- all the gears of a standard 12-23, with the 25 thrown in for good measure if you ever need it.

I agree with the others on the chain. If you buy a Campy 10 group, the C-10 chain will be included. Just use it until the permalink wears out or replace that link with a superlink when you first install. When the C-10 chain wears out, replace with a Wipperman. Campy has really missed the boat on the chain issue.
re: Campy 10 vs 9 speedkenross
May 31, 2002 9:28 AM
Don't worry about the chain. Use a regular chain tool and remove the perma-link and re-connect the chain like any normal chain. Just be VERY SURE you center the pin when you do it. I've put over 3000 miles on my campy 10 without any troubles.