's Forum Archives - Components

Archive Home >> Components(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )

newbie wonders 'bout his derailleur: help!(2 posts)

newbie wonders 'bout his derailleur: help!nyedid
May 19, 2002 8:03 PM
i don't know how to tell whether i have a braze-on or a band-type derailleur connection in the front. i'm getting rid of some older campy stuff that came on the bike i got recently. it's a Trek OCLV frame; the front derailleur is connected to a metal plate on the seat-tube. the thing is, i'm buying a new ultegra group and it says the derailleur is a band type. i don't know what that means-- help!
re: braze on is what you had... clamp on is what you're getting.Akirasho
May 20, 2002 12:47 AM
... Shimano made/makes three types of interfaces...

Braze on... goes directly to the tab you mentioned.
Clamp on (two types)... goes around the seat tube and is incompatible with frames with a braze on (various clamp diameters available).
Convertable... a braze on derailleur that afixes to a clamp (when removed from said clamp, it is essentially a braze on).

I believe that all Ultegras are now convertible... but older units were integrated (I've got an older first generation Ultegra 9 front derailleur that cannot be seperated from the clamp). Check with your vendor to see what they stock. If it's convertable... save or sell the band.
(requires Adobe Acrobat to view)

We abide.

Remain In Light.