's Forum Archives - Components

Archive Home >> Components(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )

Braze-on vs. Clamp-on front derailleurs....(3 posts)

Braze-on vs. Clamp-on front derailleurs....Allen az
May 18, 2002 4:56 PM
Whats the difference between them? Whats the most common type used? And is there a weight difference?

re: Braze-on vs. Clamp-on front derailleurs....Nessism
May 18, 2002 5:30 PM
A braze-on front derailleur is designed to bolt to a tab that is brazed onto the frame. A clamp-on uses a round clamp that fits around the seat tube.

If you already have a braze-on derailleur but need a clamp-on, an adapter can be used. The adapter in effect provides a tab for the braze-on to bolt to.

As far as the weight difference goes, they are about the same after you add the weight of the braze-on tab.

re: Braze-on vs. Clamp-on front derailleurs....KurtVF
May 20, 2002 3:35 PM
I like the clean look of a braze on derailler. Seems clamp on ismore popular though.