|annoying ticking from my bottom bracket||luke-|
Sep 18, 2001 5:51 PM
|I developed an annoying ticking noise from my bottom bracket.I had the bike built in early summer,after about 1300 miles the noise started. A friend told me it could be moisture built up from wet rides or humidity. I removed it,cleaned the treads on the frame and bottom bracket and reinstalled it with a nickel-based never seize and it got a lot louder.The frameset is a Litespeed Ultimate and Shimano B-B. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks|
|Rule out other sources||nestorl|
Sep 18, 2001 6:33 PM
|Most BB noises are actually from somewhere else...the noise travels through teh bike and makes it sound as if it was from you bb. Possible guilty parties:
- check the bolt of your seat collar. broken bolts make the same bb noise.
- Splined cranks tighten to the wrong torque may make similar noises.
- basic things such as FDerr cable hitting the pedal must be rule out
- check for cracks at the bottom of the bb
- make sure the bolts of your Water bottels are tight.
- make sure your bolts on your cleats are not hitting the pedal during the down stroke.
- Do more diagnostic tests:
Does it sound when you are off the saddle?
When you coast?
When you sprint only?
At a regular site of the stroke?
etc etc etc
Hope you find the answer
|re: annoying ticking from my bottom bracket||lvm|
Sep 19, 2001 7:45 PM
|some other things to try: pedals and rear dropout. i had a similar problem that i just never thought could be coming from the pedals (i had even replaced a frame cracked near the bb). i had replaced/reinstalled just about everything except the guilty pedal. the pedals are nice in that you can swap them out easily to determine if they are the problem or not. and to fix it i just had to tighten the spindle.
one other time i had to put some grease on the drive-side rear dropout and the noise went away.
|re: annoying ticking from my bottom bracket||templecat|
Sep 20, 2001 5:47 AM
|Give the chainring bolts a tightening too! Maybe take them out & put a touch of grease or teflon tape....|| |