's Forum Archives - Components

Archive Home >> Components(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )

Ultegra Triple to Double -- complete!(9 posts)

Ultegra Triple to Double -- complete!the_gormandizer
Jul 5, 2001 7:12 AM
I successfully completed the conversion from triple to double on my CAAD4. Thanks to all that responded with my initial questions --- your advice was invaluable.

One more question though. The only chain rub I get is on the cross-gear from the small (39T) chain wheel to the smallest two cogs (12T and 13T). The chain rubs on the large chainwheel, not on the derailleur. I know that you are not supposed to use these gear combinations, but wanted to confirm that this is relatively normal. As far as I can determine, there is no adjustment for this, it is a function of chainline and the relative chainwheel sizes. Any comments?
re:Chain rubRusty Coggs
Jul 5, 2001 7:50 AM
Not untypical on short chainstay bikes,with the 39 small ring. If it really bothers you a 2mm spacer between the frame and BB flange on the drive side could cure it.
re:Chain rubthe_gormandizer
Jul 5, 2001 7:57 AM
Thanks for the information. Any suggestion on where to get such a spacer?
re:Chain rubdejohn
Jul 5, 2001 11:01 AM
how about a BIKE SHOP??? geez
re:Chain rubthe_gormandizer
Jul 5, 2001 11:19 AM
Maybe if I had anything resembling a decent bike shop within 2 hours drive I wouldn't have had to mail order the parts and do the installation myself!!!!!
ok thenLOL
Jul 5, 2001 11:23 AM
how about a MAILORDER bike shop??? jeez
Try looking up "spacer" at Supergothe_gormandizer
Jul 5, 2001 12:02 PM
or Colorado cyclist, or Nashbar, or Excel, or Performance and see if you find one. Actually I found them at Loose Screws, but the store's closed until September.
CALL them, Gorfunny
Jul 5, 2001 12:13 PM
any shop worth anything will have them, they prob just don't put them in the print or online catalogs... duh
HFC.....Rusty Coggs
Jul 5, 2001 12:33 PM
Not worth the hassle IMHO,but has, or can get them thru the QBP catalogue.