's Forum Archives - Components

Archive Home >> Components(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )

need valve extenders(8 posts)

need valve extendersGary
Apr 12, 2001 3:47 PM
I just got a set of Zipp 440 wheels...which are 58mm dished rims. Of course, you'll have to use valve extenders for the sew-up tires that go onto the rims, but I'm having problems getting them to hold pressure so that I can pump them up. One is pressurized now but finicky. The other, I haven't had any luck. I'm not sure of what brand the valve extenders I'm using as I got them with the rims. Does anyone else have a recommendation on presta valve extenders that work well? Thanks.
Try this...Lazy
Apr 12, 2001 5:48 PM
Two possible fixes come to mind:

1. Wrap some teflon tape around the threads of your tube. I haven't tried this one yet, but it seems like it should work.

2. Slap a little grease on the threads. This works pretty well, but I suspect the tape would work better.

When I was messing with my deep wheels the other day I didn't have any of the tape so I tried the grease. Got them inflated to what seems like a serviceable level, but I can't tell because the pressure guage on the pump won't work with valve extenders.

Which brings up a new question. Anyone know how to measure pressure on a tube with a valve extender on it?
re: need valve extendersslbenz
Apr 12, 2001 7:22 PM
I have a set of Zipp 404 tubulars that also came with a set of valve extenders. The Zipp instructions say to use plumber's tape to ensure an airtight seal for the valve extender. Zipp also recommends that if the plumber's tape is thin, to wrap the area near the valve stem several times. I have done this and have not experienced any problems inflating my tires to their max pressure of 175. If you want to try a different set of valve extenders, try the Tufo Tire valve extender. It includes a rubber seal to prevent air leaks eliminating the need for the plumber's tape. Hope this helps.
re: need valve extenderspmf
Apr 13, 2001 5:13 AM
If your valve extenders need teflon tape in order to work, then you're going to have to carry it with you in case of a flat. I guess this wouldn't be a big problem (just wrap it around the spare tube valve). If you're borrowing a tube from a friend, you're SOL. I'd prefer to have some that work without the tape. I've owned a pair of Spinergy Rev-X wheels for 5 years now. They're pretty deep and use a valve extender supplied by Spinergy that you can buy at a LBS or at Excel/Colorado. They work fine without any teflon tape. You might want to buy one and see if it works for you. You really only need one, although 2 is safer. I've never broken the Spinergy extenders, but I have broken extenders that come with Campy wheels (Vento).
Buy long valve tubularsOnrhodes
Apr 13, 2001 6:55 AM
I solved this problem simply. I purchase a tubular with a long valve. It works just fine. If using clinchers, you can do the same thing.
Simple answer to a simple question.
Buy long valve tubularspmf
Apr 13, 2001 8:48 AM
Yeah, until you are out somewhere, get a flat and don't have another long valve tube. Neither does any of your friends because hardly anyone uses these things.

I ran into a guy at a century having this problem. He was on flat #2, had used his spare tube, and all his buddies had regular valve tubes. Luckily for him, I keep a valve extender in my bag and was nice enough to let him use it.
Buy long valve tubularsAkirasho
Apr 13, 2001 9:30 AM
I use HED Stinger 90's and you've got no choice but to use extenders (HED supplies them with the wheels) on something that deep.

I use a combo of teflon tape and blue Loctite... teflon to seal against leaks... and just a touch of Loctite to keep everything in place (you know, with all that centrifugal force I generate from my superhuman speed).

One little thing I carry is a short piece of brake cable (soldered at both ends) to use to reach and open my presta valve without removing the extender... Also, folks might wanna consider two alternative extenders to the ones we normally see... one, by QBP (expensive) puts a valve on the end of the extender... another type allows the use of old valve cores on the end of the extender.

Be the bike.
Buy long valve tubularspmf
Apr 13, 2001 9:41 AM
I've found that the tiny hex wrench you get in sets you buy from the hardware (at 1/4 the cost of a bike shop) works pretty well at opening the valve up when it gets screwed in.