|Help welcome me to the 21st Century....||curtiso|
Apr 11, 2001 7:01 PM
|I am finally ready to consider upgrading my 600 Ultegra 8 speed with downtube shifters to 9 speed with STI. A little help here...
1. I am thinking Dura Ace shifters for max shifting quality with
Ultegra rear derailleur 'cuz I can't imagine the Dura Ace rear
is really worth the extra expense. Any thoughts?
2. I am partial to SRAM chains. Any reason to go with a Shimano chain?
3. Which cassette? I currently run 12-23, 8 speeds. My thinking here
is Ultegra or even 105 (again, how much better can the Dura Ace
part be?) in 12-25. I rarely use the 12, so I don't see a need
for 11, and the 25 would help on the hills in the long tours I do.
4. Is a new small chainring really neccessary? If so, why?
Thanx in advance for all the input. I will consider everything carefully before I make my choices. Current financial schedule puts it all together in late April/early May.
|re: Help welcome me to the 21st Century....||fuzzybunnies|
Apr 12, 2001 8:17 AM
|1. ultegra derailleur is fine.
2. You can go with shimano if you like carrying extra pins since you're no supposed to hard pin shimano.
3 dura ace weights more and 105 is relitively softer than ultegra so ultegra is a nice option. 12-25 or 12-27 are good ratios. but you're choice.
4. Not really but it will make shifting smoother.