's Forum Archives - Components

Archive Home >> Components(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )

head tube extenders?(9 posts)

head tube extenders?Paul
Apr 4, 2001 4:03 PM
Anyone know if there is such a thing as a head tube extender. I want to increase the height of my frame's head tube so I can safely use a carbon steerer. 10 to 15mm would be adequate.
re: head tube extenders?grz mnky
Apr 4, 2001 4:20 PM
They're called "spacers" and are readily available at most shops. They do not extend the head tube per se, but rather the space between the headset and threadless stem. You will also need a threadless headset.
missed the point...dave
Apr 4, 2001 4:41 PM
I'll assume that Paul knows what steering tube spacers are used for.

Paul wants to extend the head tube to avoid the use of too many spacers, which is either 1cm or 2cm, depending on opinion.

Paul should just get a higher rise stem to raise the bars to the needed height.
missed the point...Paul
Apr 4, 2001 5:04 PM
You're absolutely right in you're assumption of what my intention is. It's just that I wanted to avoid using a riser type stem if possible. Just don't like the way they look on a road bike. But that is my only viable option at this point. Or, I could use a fork with an alloy or cromo steerer, but this all carbon fork I got with this frame is so light--and slick looking too.
no such thingschmoopy
Apr 4, 2001 5:33 PM
unless you want to replace the headtube, in which case it would probably be cheaper to just get a new frame... ain't trying to look cool a b!tch??? as for mr. grz mnky missing the point, that's not uncommon
A wonderful observaton...nm...I Agree !
Apr 5, 2001 6:47 AM
re: head tube extenders?muncher
Apr 5, 2001 4:36 AM
Got one of these (I think I know what you mean) for my wife's bike - just clamps on where the stem would usually be, and sticks up further so you can put the stem higher - is that what you are after? There were a range of makes - I got a trek one - it's good, but a bit heavy. I don't know if you'll be able to get one with that little rise - most seemes to have a range of about 4cm - guess you could cut it down to the length you need though - the top is covered with the spanled nut cover anyway...
missed the point...again
Apr 5, 2001 5:41 AM
no such thing for a carbon steerer
re: head tube extenders?ScottV
Apr 5, 2001 7:05 AM
No, your only options are a none carbon fork or a stem with a greater rise.