RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - Components

Archive Home >> Components(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 )

My DA SPD-Rs are extremely dificult to get out of. Is this..(11 posts)

My DA SPD-Rs are extremely dificult to get out of. Is this..Jimbob
Mar 30, 2001 7:50 AM
the norm?? Theyve been like this from day one, I thought it was because they needed to be lubed up. So I lubed them before my ride yesterday and I still feel like Im gonna rip the leather off the carbon soles of my Shimano shoes when I try to get out. Thanks.
re: My DA SPD-Rs are extremely dificult to get out of. Is this..Skip
Mar 30, 2001 10:01 AM
I had the same problem with the SPDR. Dumped them for Speedplay X-2's and have been very happy - MUCH easier to get in/out, more float, easier on the knees, lighter, etc.
Actually, went out for a spin today and theyre getting better...Jimbob
Mar 30, 2001 1:44 PM
Maybe the lube had to get worked in a little. Felt pretty good. Maybe on the next ride theyll be even better. I have Speedplays on my MTB. They are great, comfy, light, etc. I just dont know if Im really liking all the "free float". I used some SPD 636s (DH model) the other day and its nice to have that more "restricted float", it feels like youre a little more connected.
WOULDA THOUGHT AN EXPERT LIKE YOU WOULD KNOW.shmoo
Mar 30, 2001 6:47 PM
Date: March 24, 2001 01:43 PM
Author: jimbob
Subject: roadbikereview.com

"full of freds and just plain erroneous info- good for a laugh"

You owe this site an apology, Dude. Or should we consider you among the Freds and laughables now.
Sorry Shmoo, that wasnt me? Where was that posted??JIMBOB
Apr 2, 2001 8:33 AM
This is the only chat room thing Ive ever used.
Hey shmoo, in further looking at your claim.......Jimbob
Apr 2, 2001 3:31 PM
Unless I had a laptop in my race at the Sea Otter I couldnt have possibly made those statements. Maybe you should get your facts straight before you make accusations like that. Happy trails. Also, where were these statements posted????????????? I'd really like to see these.
Hey shmoo, in further looking at your claim.......shmoo
Apr 2, 2001 10:25 PM
The post I refer to appeared in cyclingforum.com on 3/24/01 at 1:43PM, entitled "roadbikereview.com". I copied it into my post above, but here it is again. It's just a one line statement.

Date: March 24, 2001 01:43 PM
Author: jimbob
"full of freds and just plain erroneous info- good for a laugh"

Why would I think this is you? Your name appears on this forum regularly as either "jimbob", "Jimbob", or "JIMBOB". The subject post was authored by "jimbob", and as far as I can tell is the only post appearing there under that name. FWIW I don't find any posts in the Volonews forums under that name either. If the post had been from a regular poster there, it might have seemed more par for the course, but what I see here is a one time poster to cyclingforum who just happens to choose the unusual and all lower case "jimbob" as a name. While I must admit that it is not imposible that you are not that jimbob, given the circumstances, it seems very unlikely to me. If I am wrong, then I certainly owe you an apology, and I'll drop my pants in front of the this forum and sing one to you. But, so far, I'm not buying it.
You owe me an apology. Why would I put down the forum........Jimbob
Apr 3, 2001 8:23 AM
where I gain so much insight from. Im new to this type of thing and have never been to cycling forum. SOmeone did mention a month or so ago that a "jimbo" was putting down newbies or something like that. They thought that was me also. Its not. I guess I have no way of convincing you. So, think what you want. It wasnt me. Like I said before, I was racing at that actual time. In addition, I dont think I have ever been on the forum on a weekend. Check every post. If so, it is RARE. That I know. Happy trails shmoo.
One more thingKerry Irons
Apr 1, 2001 4:18 PM
Have you checked your shoes for any interferences with the cleat/pedal? Sometimes the pedal will drag or catch on a bit of the sole of your shoe, making release very difficult. Look carefully at the shoe sole for any place where there might be interference. Put the shoe in the pedal, and then lay on the floor and watch what happens when you twist your shoe out.
Thanks Kerry, I'll check it out. It does seem to be a little...JIMBOB
Apr 2, 2001 8:35 AM
worse on my right shoe.
It's normal...TJeanloz
Apr 3, 2001 6:41 AM
Our experience has been that SPD-R pedals are difficult to get out of. So much so that we no longer sell them to women or lightweight men. I can't explain why they are so tight, but they definitely are tighter than an SPD or LOOK.